Dry mouth, or xerostomia, occurs when your saliva glands don’t produce adequate saliva. As a result, your mouth constantly feels dry. Also, you may notice that the skin around your mouth becomes tight. Your lips may crack as well. Thanks to tips from a dentist in Anchorage, you will learn the most effective ways to deal with this condition.
An Anchorage Dentist Explains How to Relieve Dry Mouth
There are a few tricks that may help you deal with dry mouth.
- Chew Sugar-free Gum. Any type of sugar-free candy contains xylitol. This ingredient often simulates the flow of saliva in your mouth. However, you are advised to limit the amount that you eat. Too much is known to cause diarrhea.
- Reduce Caffeine. Caffeine is known to dry out your mouth.
- Drink Water Regularly. When you drink water throughout the day, your mouth will not feel quite as dry.
- Avoid Mouthwash with Alcohol. Alcohol dries the body, including your mouth. If you already suffer from a dry mouth, anything with alcohol will make things worse. Luckily, there are products on the market that don’t include this ingredient.
- Avoid Antihistamines. OTC antihistamines may dry your mouth. It is the same with decongestants as well.
- Use a Humidifier. When you sleep at night, a humidifier will put water vapor into the air. This keeps your mouth from becoming drier. In fact, most Anchorage dentists explain that this piece of equipment may lessen many of your symptoms.
Guard Your Oral Health
To avoid the need for dentist in Anchorage services, it is important to understand a few ways to guard your oral health. Saliva plays an important role in maintaining good oral health. With a dry mouth, there are a few Anchorage dentist tips that will prevent problems.
- Brush with a fluoride toothpaste
- Avoid sugary or acidic foods
- Schedule regular dentist Anchorage services, including professional exams and cleanings
At Healthy Smiles Dental, we strive to keep patients feeling their best. We understand that dry mouth may be uncomfortable and may lead to oral problems. We want to help you avoid damage to your mouth. For more information about our dentist Anchorage services, call us at (907)341-3139.